Monday, May 30, 2011

No Crying Over Broken Crayons!

Moms! (and Dads, etc) Don't throw away those broken crayon pieces! It's very important for little ones to be able to color on blank paper. This is what, along with other crafting, helps them to cultivate their imaginations. However, and I know this quite well, little fingers love to break crayons! (And mine love to eat crayons, which is fine as long as they are non-toxic. But it does make for very interesting, rainbow poop...just saying.) So, I had all of these little peices of crayons, and just as I was about to throw them away...I had a brainstorm! I would make crayons out of them. Big, chunky, multicolored crayons. And I did so with the help of my girls.

What you'll need: Broken Crayons, of coarse. (I kept mine stored in a wipey box until I had enough to use for the project).









Make sure you remove the paper from the crayons!

 A baking sheet covered with aluminum foil. Then make little boats for you crayon to melt in. I sprayed my little boats with cooking spray to help the molded crayons pop out of the foil easily. Pre-heat the oven to 250* and you'll only leave them in there for 4 minutes.








                        The girls helped sort and group the crayons into the colors that they liked.

This was Zaeva's favorite part.

Xanthe helping to make the aluminum foil "boats" to melt our crayons in.

Crayons ready for the oven!






Yay! Hope you all have as much fun making crayons as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment